The Colorado Background Investigation Unit (BIU) is implementing a new process for the transfer of employee background checks. This process is available only for the following license types: Child Care Centers, School-Age Child Care Centers, Preschools, Family Child Care Homes and Qualified Exempt Child Care Homes.
Pursuant to the Child Care Development Block Grant (CCDBG) Act, prospective employees meeting ALL of the criteria below may qualify for a transfer of their background checks from a former employer within 180 days:
- Applicant has completed all required background checks within five years and received eligible results. (CBI, FBI, TRAILS and Out of State)
- Applicant has been separated from the former employer for less than 180 days.
- The applicant’s prospective employer has submitted a complete Notification of Transfer of Employment form to the BIU
- The BIU has processed the former employer’s Notification of Flag Removal Form.
The Notification of Transfer of Employment form must be submitted by the employer within 180 days of the applicant’s separation from their former employer. Forms received after 180 days of separation will be denied and applicants will be required to complete new background checks.
Employers utilizing the transfer process will receive one single letter stating eligibility for their records and department audit purposes. If the new employer desires the individual’s background check results (CBI, FBI, TRAILS, and Out of State) attached to their license number, new background checks must be completed by the applicant.
Click here to access the updated Notification of Flag Removal form. Effective October 25, 2021, the Background Investigation Unit will no longer accept the old form.
*Due to this change, as of October 14, 2021, individuals who have previously been flag-removed from their former employer are not eligible to transfer their background checks.
5 Year Out of State Background Checks
The 5 year Out of State Background Check rules impact Child Care Centers, School- Age Child Care Centers, Preschools, Family Child Care Homes and Qualified Exempt Child Care Homes.
- Effective September 30, 2021. All prospective staff and current staff that have lived outside of Colorado in the past five years are required to complete additional background checks. For more information please refer to our website and review the Out of State Background Check - 5 Year - Criminal History, Sex Offender Registry, and Child Abuse and Neglect Registry dropdown.
- A new state-based checklist has been added to our website to better align with these requirements.
- Notable changes include:
- The BIU will request all State Sex Offender Registry Checks.
- The provider or applicant must initiate the criminal history and child abuse and neglect background checks.
- All state results must be sent directly to the BIU by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to the address listed at the bottom of this page.
Applicants must attach all copies of submitted state requests and/or results with the completed checklist.