Paying for Child Care

Paying for child care

Safe, quality child care can be expensive and potentially out of reach for some families. Fortunately, resources may be available to those struggling with the costs.

Colorado Child Care Assistance Program (CCCAP)

CCCAPThe federally-funded Colorado Child Care Assistance Program (CCCAP) provides financial assistance to eligible families who are working, searching for employment, in training or in an educational activity and need child care services to support their efforts to achieve and/or maintain self-sufficiency. CCCAP is administered in Weld County through the Department of Human Services (DHS).

Currently, Weld County's eligibility level is at 185% of the Federal Poverty Level. Families whose gross income does not exceed 185% of the Federal Poverty Level may be eligible for CCCAP. To find out if your family may qualify, you can download this PDF to review the gross income guidelines.

Families enrolled in CCCAP are required to pay a portion of their child care costs, called the parental fee. The amount you pay is based on your gross income and the number of people in your household.

To apply for CCCAP, parents must complete an application and provide information about their income and work or training program. Electronic applications can be submitted through the Colorado PEAK website or you may download an application here. You can also pick up a paper application from DHS.

In order for a child care provider to accept and receive CCCAP payments, they must be contracted with DHS. To become contracted with DHS, the family receiving CCCAP must request an enrollment packet from their case manager. The family and child care provider complete the packet together and submit the completed packet back to the case manager.

Call (970) 400-6017 or email for more information.

Tax Credits

Tax credit imageAlthough tax credits don’t provide immediate assistance with paying for child care, they do reduce the amount of tax owed and help to maximize your refund, which can be set aside for expenses like child care to be used throughout the year. Talk with an accountant or visit the IRS website to learn if the following tax credits could help you.

  • Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit: This credit is available to people who are paying for child care to allow them to work or look for work. The credit amount is a percentage based on your adjusted gross income as well as the amount of work-related child and dependent care expenses you paid to a care provider.
  • Earned Income Tax Credit: This credit is a benefit for working people with low to moderate income. The amount of the tax credit varies depending on your level of income and how many dependents you support.
Child Care Provider-Specific Assistance

Photo of mother with two daughtersAdditional assistance may be available from your child care provider. Families are encouraged to ask their provider if they offer any of the following options.

  • Sliding Fee Scale: Some providers may offer fees based on a sliding scale, which uses an income-based system to determine costs.
  • Negotiable Fees: Some providers may be willing to negotiate fees on a case-by-case basis.
  • Multi-Child Discounts: Some providers offer fee reductions to families with more than one child enrolled in their care.
Work- or School-Related Programs

People talking about child care optionsYou may qualify for child care assistance options based on where you work or go to school. Ask your employer or school to see if you might be eligible for any of the following benefits.

  • On-Site Child Care or Discounts: Your employer or school may have an on-site child care center or offer discounts through certain child care programs.
  • Child Care Vouchers or Reimbursements: Your employer may offer a child care allowance or subsidy that families can use toward a child care arrangement of their choice.
  • Employer Assisted Dependent Care/Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Your employer may allow employees to put a portion of each paycheck into a special fund for child care. The money placed in this fund isn’t taxed and can only be used toward the cost of child care.
  • Benefit Package: Your employer may allow employees to choose from a variety of benefits to customize their benefit package. For instance, you may be able to choose a child care benefit instead of health insurance.